notes,scribbles,bubbles,visions,hallucinations and what have you

Wednesday, February 04, 2004

about selling out:
I am a walking billboard for Nike and every other super brand I can afford.
I pay them so that they allow me to advertise their products.
My self-esteem is directly proportional to the number of branded products I wear.
I have Nike shoes, wallet, track pants, tee-shirts, socks, bag, sweat-shirt, jacket, shorts.......do they make undies...........i dont have their watch.
not as yet atleast.
JUST DO IT......thats how I live my life......i let some copy writer sitting in madison avenue or whereever the phuq he's sitting decide how my entire outlook on life is constructed.
just like a hallmark card will decide on the finer nuances of my love for my mom, dad, sister, niece, brother-in-law, dog and every festival and event of religious significance they can buy the emotional patent rights to.
I like selling out. maybe I don't.
I buy Nikes because their products are aspirational and not everybody wears them because not everybody can afford them. maybe nawt.
I want to be unique and yet I want to be part of a sub-culture which is daring, does its own thing and lives on the edge.
Does wearing Nike make a part of that culture yes and no.
Jesus. I love their ads but they make millions from making their shoes at sweat-shops where children labour for insane number of hours without getting paid minimum wages.
these children will never be able to own a pair of Nikes.
ok now I sound like like a Naomi Klein wannabe.
I will continue wearing Nikes because they make world class products.
I wont sweat bullets over the sweat-store conditions they were made in.
But i can ask for them to pay better wages in the factories they make their products in, not employ kids and improve factory conditions.
when im down i shop.
being a student sucks.
plan on standing near Spencer's with a signboard
"will shop for money".
hehe hee ha ho ho




|
 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com